Friday, May 15, 2009

Buddah of the Forest Crystal Dumpling: AKA the Reason to Keep Living

If you were on a ledge threatening to end it all, I'd bring you this dumpling with some red chili sauce and a bottle of beer. And if you didn't like it, I would push you.

Buddha of the Forest Crystal Dumpling.

It's amazing. I don't yet know exactally how this "crystal dumpling" is made. I have heard tell of an ancient chinese-woman magic that involves pouring boiling water into starch and then adding lard. Sounds logical. The dumpling had shrimp, green vegetables and a nice balance of ginger/garlic flavors. Or I think it did. I ate the tray so fast that several people plummeted to their deaths. I have no idea where the name comes from- get on this people. Google is alot harder to access when everything you own has to fit in a backpack.

Also, I don't know what forest Buddha frequented, but the forests of my times have no shrimp.

Still. So. Good.

1 comment:

  1. We Google, so you don't have to:

    http://www.seasiafood.com/crystal-dumpling-recip/

    One of my favorite Chinese Dim Sum is Crystal Dumpling, it is one type of Jiao Zi, but ingredient used to make the wrapper skin is different from the ingredient used in Jiao Zi. The skin is almost transparent( like crystal), therefore it is called Crystal Dumpling (better than called Transparent Dumpling right!) Besides, the skin of Crystal Dumpling is much more chewy than the normal dumpling, ah, because wheat starch is added in!Also, bring some of those back for me.

    ReplyDelete